Friday, January 27

Foodie Friday: Whole Wheat Pear Biscuits:

I must take a break. Even though I am just two steps away from being finished with the longest project in the history of my living room table (saying something major) I must stop for more than a moment and... blog.

It's about time I shared a recipe and It just so happens that I have invented the easiest best Yerba Mate drinking tea biscuit of all time. It also happens to be healthy. If you know me, you might guess I don't shy away from fats, but I do try to use whole grains. When it comes to biscuits, I am traditionally a cut in the butter kind of girl. But it just so happens that this recipe could be made practically fat free. These are general guidelines, not a formal recipe because well, I made it up. But follow them and you can't go wrong. I haven't yet since I started making them. The only thing that makes it not completely accessible is that it really should be made in a food processor. However you can also cut the pear by hand into very small pieces and mix it in with your hands or a mixer.

In twenty five minutes you will be eating a scrumptious bites of pear hinted sweetness. Here comes.....

Whole Wheat Pear Biscuits:

1 cup whole wheat flour (or white, or half and half, whatever)

3/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1 Pear (hard pears work great)
1/2 cup cottage cheese
sour cream or yogurt for basting top
demerara for generous sprinkling

preheat your oven to 375 F

I actually recommend at least doubling this recipe. Your food processor may be able to handle quadrupling it, but it all depends on how many people are hanging around your kitchen today, if you want them scarfed down or if you want a few for later.

Simply mix your flour, baking soda and salt with a fork, then throw your pear in (cut into rough pieces), pulse your food processor until the mixture is the texture of wet sand with no big pieces. spoon in the cottage cheese and process JUST until it is one sticky mass with visible pieces of cheese curd. Flour table top, throw your dough on the table and sprinkle with enough flour to be able to touch it without coming away a sticky mess. The dough will be very sticky, this is good.

Flour your roller, flour your dough and roll to 1/4 to 1/3 inch thick. Brush sour cream or yogurt generously over the top of your dough patty. Sprinkle demerara generously over the top of your creamy brushed substance. The only way you can go wrong with this step is by not putting enough creamy mixture or not sprinkling enough sugar. Key word, generous. the worst that could happen is it takes longer to cook because of the moisture in your creamy white stuff. Cut roughly into 1 1/2 to 2 inch squares, triangles, whatever shape fits your fancy, just make sure they are roughly the same size so they cook at the same rate. I love a rustic plate of grab-me-edibles. The sprinkled sugar looks fantastic if you sprinkle it on in stripes.


Line a baking sheet, pizza sheet, whatever your redneck kitchen affords, with parchment paper.  You can of course, always grease it. But recently I've discovered how wonderfully simple parchment paper is and am kind of addicted. Lay your biscuits in your pan and stick in your hot oven for about 15, maybe 20 minutes. You'll know that they are done when you can BARELY see color on the bottom. If in doubt, pick one up, hot off the pan and look. You don't want these to brown more than a tiny tiny bit or they'll lose their moist, soft scrumptiousness. I hope you and yours enjoy them as much as me and mine.

Just a thought: These would be Awesome with blueberries or lemon zest mixed in with the cottage cheese. 

If you're looking for other even more simple, yet awesome tea biscuits, check out my Cuñada's blog evymundo.blogspot.com. Oh, what? you don't speak Spanish? Just use Google translate!

Smile if you like food and eat it. 



1 comment:

James and Summer said...

smiling - grinning from ear to ear! Yum!

About Me

Chester, UT, United States
I stole an Argentine from his country and made him my husband. Raising 4 kids in Sanpete County, we recently found a 140 year old farm house and made it into a home. El Palenquito is our dream of a micro-farm and market. We've set out to slowly restore life to our neglected plot of ground, including the soil, flora, fauna, and especially the hummingbirds! I love to get dirty making things and put the stuff in my head out on paper.